Do you have an espresso machine? Neither do I. But I like fancy things, and especially fancy coffee. So, with the internet’s help, I came up with a way to make a cappuccino without one. Here are five reasons to make your own improvised cappucinno:
1) You save money not buying a crazy espresso machine just to make espresso and steamed milk. Regular coffee works (and tastes) great!
2) You can go low fat – the lower fat milk you choose, the better foam it will make (I use 2% and it works beautifully. Skim does even better. Half & half or heavy whipping cream? Not so much).
3) You can go sugar-free (or go with natural sweeteners like agave or stevia). You get to choose what goes in.
4) This method keeps your coffee warm instead of cooling it down with half & half or flavored creamer straight from the fridge.
5) It’s fun exercise (you’ll see below) or a great assignment for a busy child in the kitchen.
Here are your cast of characters:
A brewed pot of coffee
A container with a lid
A fancy cup cup and saucer (this is essential)
Step 1: Brew some coffee. Or brew espresso, but if you have an espresso machine then I’m not sure why you’re reading this.
Step 2: Pour a a little bit of milk into your container with a lid. I happened to have this lovely little travel bottle, but anything with a secure lid would work.
Step 3: Microwave your milk for ~10 seconds (just warm, not scalding)
Step 4: Now comes the fun part. Cap the lid and shake vigorously for 1 minute
No, I mean really shake it…
Shake vigorously! (Seriously, what kid wouldn’t love doing this for you?)
At this point your dog will probably be looking at you wondering:
But just ignore her and move onto Step 5, which is to pour your now frothy milk slowly into your beautiful cup
It will look like just milk at first but then…
Lovely foam! And voila, you have a fancy cappuccino to drink while you do your morning devotions! AND you saved money, saved calories, kept your coffee warm, and possibly entertained a child (or a dog) for several minutes in the morning. Good for you!
I hope you enjoy this discovery as much as I have. Let me know how it works if you try it out for yourself!